Monday, February 8, 2016

THE NAP




 I adjusted the canvas shoulder bag under my head as I reclined in the cool spring grass.  There were enough young leaves on the trees to keep the bright sun out of my closed eyes.  With a few minor shifts and wiggles I quickly became quite comfortable on God’s green mattress.  As I pushed aside all thoughts, the street noise gradually retreated and I found myself in that wonderful place between consciousness and sleep.  I awoke shortly, startled by the realization that I had been sleeping on the ground in Philadelphia’s Rittenhouse Square early in the afternoon on that late spring day in 1979. 

I spent the morning doing what I love to do – walking the city streets with my camera, feeling the excitement from their busyness, color, and texture, while constantly looking for interesting architecture, and mini urban landscapes.  Back in the studio these photos would become the inspiration for my paintings and drawings.  There is no denying by fascination with the built environment, and I never feel so alive as when I’m in a city bustling with activity.

After walking the streets all morning and consuming more lunch that I really needed, sprawling on the grass in the park seemed like the only civilized thing to do.  None of the many people strolling about seemed to pay any attention to those of us seeking such comfort on that lovely spring day.  I hope I wasn’t snoring.

No comments:

Post a Comment