Wednesday, October 17, 2018

NOTES FROM 8TH DECADE #23 CHRISTMAS EVE 2014





CHRISTMAS EVE 2014

I sat by the Christmas tree in my new recliner, a gift from Patience, listening to the Christmas music on my computer. The room was bathed in the warm light from the tree, and the house was quiet and still. This Christmas Eve solitude had become a ritual for me since moving to Paducah, a time of nostalgia for the Christmas eves of the past, shared with my children and my parents. I found myself looking forward to bittersweet memories with a sadness that was warm and comforting.  

But it was not to be. This year the memories remained warm and comforting, but the sad nostalgia was gone. It could not displace my complete comfort in the moment at hand, the feelings of loss that I experienced in previous years was replaced by joy and gratitude for the life I have now.

One more milestone in this journey we call life.

No comments:

Post a Comment