Saturday, June 16, 2018

NOTES FROM THE EIGHTH DECADE #13 NIGHT & DAY


NIGHT & DAY
August 2013



For years my life was defined by the events and circumstances (work, play, emotional and physical health, etc.) of the day at hand.  But recently a strange transition seems to be occurring. The days are taking on an increasing sameness, while the nights, which have always been consistently void of anything but dreams, are becoming unique. How many times will I wake up because of pain in my legs, back, or neck?  Will I have to get up to pee, or will one of the dogs have to go out?  Will Patience poke me and tell me to roll over because I’m snoring? Sometimes I wake up on my own and find that I am wide-awake at 3 A.M. I may eventually fall back to sleep, or get up and go into my study and read or listen to music. Or perhaps a profound dreams will wake me up, and I’ll find myself in that intermediate state between awakeness and sleep, not knowing if I am consciously continuing the dream or not.

While the days are becoming predictable, the nights are taking on a
life of their own. When the bedside light goes out I have no idea what adventure awaits me.

No comments:

Post a Comment