Tuesday, May 10, 2016

PRIDE & HUMILITY





I am a proud, but humble man.  Is that even possible, and if so, how?  I think it is.  Allow me to explain why.

I am proud, because I have taken advantage of the opportunities that have been provided to me, and I am humbled to have received gifts and opportunities that I did nothing to earn.  So much has been given to me.

I have been blessed with good health, reasonable intelligence (some may disagree with me on this.), and amazing parents and a warm and supporting family.  I was fortunate to be born in this country, growing up in the 1940’s and 50’s, somewhat of a golden era for America.  There was little money in our home, my father was a farmer and my mother worked at home and in a clothing factory, and I had a job since age 14.  We were never hungry, and  never had to fear for our safety or for losing our home.  I had my own room my entire childhood.  My biggest obstacle to overcome was being the shortest boy in the classroom.  Thanks to Raphie Donato, I was not the shortest student.  I had a wonderful, almost idyllic childhood, and I did nothing to deserve it.  It was given to me.  All I had to do was act on those gifts, and that was easy.  I was born into a privileged class.  Not one based on wealth or social prominence, but just as privileged.  I was the recipient of the comfort and security of a stable community, and the encouragement from a loving and supportive family that valued education, work, and family.  I never had to struggle with isolation, hunger, fear for my safety, and indifference from my family and community.  The path to my success was well cared for, and all I had to do was follow it.

There are millions of people in this country who cannot claim even some of the gifts I’ve just mentioned, children growing up hungry, afraid, without family support and educational opportunities, and worst of all, without hope.  Unlike mine, their path to success is strewn with obstacles that require an almost super human effort to overcome.

I am offended when people of privilege disparage those who remain stuck early on that path, or never have the opportunity to get started.  They are too quick to take all the credit for their accomplishments, too quick to blame others for their lack of success, and for whatever reason, they are reluctant to acknowledge what has been given to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment