Saturday, December 29, 2018

NOTES FROM THE 8TH DECADE #30


78 and counting – March 1917


I began writing about the process of aging nine years ago as I approached my 70th birthday.  Reflecting on the arc of my experience, a pattern seems to be emerging suggesting an evolution in my response to this inevitable process. This 8th decade can be thought of as a tunnel we must pass through, a little dark and scary in the beginning, but gradually becoming lighter and easier, with the promise of relief at the end. We enter knowing we are still young, and leave knowing we are old.

Some observations from my first 8 years in the tunnel:

1.     A combination of amusement and disbelief that I could be 70 years old.
2.     Confronting the question – What defines old age?
3.     A growing interest in my past – childhood, family, memories
4.     Reaching out to old friends and family
5.     Struggling with my work and with ambition, aspirations, and expectations
6.     Recognizing the physical and mental implications of ageing
7.     Eventually finding old friends becomes less important
8.     Slowly seeing and accepting myself as “old”
9.     Aging gradually transitions from an abstraction to reality.
10. Growing appreciation for the role of fate in determining our future, (There but for the grace of God go I.) and the opportunity to make it this far.

Aging is primarily a physical process. Remaining “young at heart” does

No comments:

Post a Comment