Saturday, April 9, 2016

HAVE I TOLD YOU TODAY THAT I LOVE YOU #10





TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS

When confronted with a choice between your head and your heart, and both appear to be of the same weight, choose your heart. 

Soon after I opened my first medical practice I was caring for a patient in the hospital who was quite ill.  She was a very old woman whom I had treated in the clinic during my days as a medical resident.  We had established a mutual fondness and respect for one another, and she became my private patient.  Her condition was terminal, and on rounds one morning we talked about her imminent death.  Like so many others in her position, she was not afraid to die.  As I prepared to leave I wanted to kiss her cheek, but didn’t, because I thought it was not what a “doctor” should do.  That night she died, and I never saw her again, and I promised myself that with few exceptions, I would never let my head over ride my heart again.

No comments:

Post a Comment